Thursday, February 07, 2008

Wow it's been a while since my last post - sorry about that. Christmas at home was great...and because it was so great to spend time with family and friends, it took a little while for me to get readjusted back to life here in Burkina Faso. But now I'm back in the swing of things.

This term, I decided not to teach in the ESL program. It's a great program - really well organized and there's more students interested than we can accomodate - but I just found that I really didn't like teaching English grammar. The students would always ask questions that I didn't know the answer to - like, "why do you say two hundred instead of two hundreds?"

So instead, on Monday nights, a group of us get together (mostly those from my old class) to practice their English conversational skills through reading English newspaper articles, watching English movies, and doing Bible studies. So far the discussions have been great. Like last class, Lassane (a professor at the University of Ouagadougou) started to ask questions on predestination vs free will. Ya, it was tough, but we got through it. So I've found that this has been a really great way to build relationships with people and to keep in contact with my old class.

Other than that, it's starting to get hot again =/ The hot season starts in March and lasts until I leave...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey man! did you ever get the question: "How come you can catch a cold, but you can't catch diarrhea?"

Have a great day in BF! let me know if you have an answer:)